Giving an account of the scenario, the General Secretary and Shura of the Center, Keifa T. Kroma, said the initial cause of the incident was linked to an electrical shock from the community current which supplies the entire community.
“Some students were already asleep whilst others were reading when they suddenly saw a spark coming from the wall. Before we knew it, the whole building was in flame making it impossible to take anything. We only tried to rescue the children before the building got charred”, he said.
Asking to know whether they alerted the National Fire Service , Sheik Kroma said that several calls were made to the Liberia National Fire Service (LNFS) but they never showed up as they responded that their vehicles were down, but the only help came from UNMIL which was also not timely as their arrival met everything been burnt.
Sheik Kroma said that 49 out of the 90 students at the Center have already returned from their vacations and were about to commence normal studies when the incident occurred.
Sheik Kroma said that the center at present cannot accommodate any students, and they have started sending them back home provided their parents showed up.
The Deeniyat Islamic Memorization Center is a non-governmental organization established early 2006 to provide Islamic education in the country.
The center has a boarding home that accommodates students who leave upon graduation.
This incident happened in the wake of their annual conference which is held in Sierra Leone and most founding members are presently attending the conference.